You can add guardians to communicate with parents of a patient, or other legally authorized representatives of a patient. Once a guardian has been added to the patient's profile, all messages will be sent to the guardian.
In this article:
- Adding a Guardian to a Patient's Profile
- Helping Guardians Access Klara
- Additional Notes
- Frequently Asked Questions
Adding a Guardian to a Patient's Profile
If your team does not have an EHR/PM system integration, take the following steps:
1) If you haven't already, add the patient to Klara and complete their information. If you'll only be communicating with the guardian (for example, if the patient is a child), leave the cell phone number field blank.
2) Click on the patient's name and click "Add contact information."
3) Add the guardian's mobile phone number and select the "Guardian" relationship. Click "Add contact."
If the guardian is not already listed in Klara, you'll see a note that they're "Pending activation" back on the profile screen.
If your team does have an integration with an EHR/PM system, take the following steps:
1) Navigate to the patient's profile in the EHR/PM system.
2) Add the guardian's mobile phone number to the "mobile phone number" field in the EHR/PM system. If you want to keep the patient's mobile phone number field listed, you should add the guardian's mobile phone number to the "home phone number" field.
3) Wait for the next automated sync to occur, or go to the patient's profile in Klara and click "Update from EHR."
4) You'll see that a new number has been added to the patient's contact information as "Ignored." Click "Edit" and change the relationship of that phone number to "Guardian." You'll then see that the guardian is "Pending activation."
Once the guardian has been added, send your first message to activate them.
1) Go to the patient's conversation and send a message inviting the guardian to communicate with your practice over text. We recommend using a template that welcomes them to your practice and lets them know what to expect.
2) When the guardian receives the text and clicks the link, they'll be asked to take the following steps:
- Verify the dependent patient's DOB
- Enter their own (the guardian's) first name, last name, DOB
If the guardian enters the patient's DOB as the practice has listed it in Klara, then they will be brought to the conversation!
The dependent patient's DOB must match what is listed in Klara. If it doesn't match, they will not be asked again to confirm the patient's information. If they try again and the information still isn't matching, the patient will see a message letting them know that they couldn't get through.
You will be notified with the following message so you can troubleshoot with the patient:
Helping Guardians Access Klara
We recommend that you send guardians this one-pager so they know what to expect when accessing Klara for the first time.
If a guardian continues to have trouble, we recommend that you take the following steps:
1) Check the patient's profile in Klara to make sure that:
a) The guardian's mobile phone number is listed as associated with the guardian, not the patient.
b) The DOB listed for the patient is the patient's DOB.
2) If that doesn't help, ask the guardian to confirm that when they are trying to log in, they are entering their own DOB, unless they see initials listed.
- For security purposes, guardians will need to reverify their dependent patient's DOB every 30 days.
- For voicemail integration users: For security purposes, if a guardian calls about a patient from the guardian's cell phone number, the voicemail transcription will come through as attached to the guardian's record or unattached to any record, if the guardian does not have their own record in Klara. If it comes through as unattached, you can merge the transcription over to the patient's record.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can multiple guardians have access to a single patient account?
Yes! You can add multiple guardians on the "Guardians" tab.
- Can the same guardian be added to multiple patients (for example, a mother added to two different daughter accounts)?
Yes! The same guardian can be added to multiple patients. The message to the guardian will explain which patient the conversation is about.
- I need to update the guardian's name in Klara. How do I do that?
Sometimes guardians will add the patient's name as their own name, which can be become confusing. If that happens and you'd like to update it, you can add a patient with the guardian's actual name and cell phone number. This will update the guardian's name on the dependent's profile as well.
- A guardian that is already on Klara needs to start a conversation about a new patient dependent that's not already in Klara. How does that happen?
As a staff member, you can add a dependent patient by adding the patient just like you would any other patient in Klara and then add the guardian to the profile (see instructions above). Guardians can also add the dependent themselves by taking the following steps:
1) Go to patient.klara.com.
2) Enter their cell phone number and the 4-digit verification code when asked.
3) Verify DOB (if required).
4) Click on the name of your practice.
5) Click "+ Add dependent" and provide the dependent's information.
6) Click "Start conversation."
That's it! The guardian can now message about this patient and it will be routed to the "Unassigned" inbox. You'll see a system message in the conversation stating that the guardian created the conversation with the patient.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.