For most busy practices, the phones are ringing off the hook and it can be a struggle to connect with every patient. You try your best to keep up, but half of the calls turn into voicemails or repeat calls. Even more frustrating is that you know you could quickly answer most of these questions better by text, if only the patient knew that was an option.
That's why we built the Klara Phone Greeting: a new way to get patients who call your practice to start texting instead!
Here's how it works:
1. When a patient calls, they'll hear a phone greeting (recorded by your team) that lets them know their options. Here's an example of what you'll want the greeting to say:
"Thank you for calling [insert practice name]! If this is a medical emergency, please hang up and dial 911. Did you know you can securely text with us to get your questions answered quickly? No more waiting on hold or leaving voicemails! If you're on your cell phone, press 1 now to end the call and receive a text from us. Otherwise, please stay on the line..."
2. Once the patient presses one (or whatever number your practice chooses), they'll immediately receive an automated text from your practice that says "Hello from [practice name]. How can we help you today?"
3. When a patient responds back, the conversation will go into the "Unassigned" list in Klara for your team to pick up.
4. Once you respond back to the patient, they'll get a text letting them know that they have a new message from your practice, and to click a link to go into Klara and reply. If they've never texted with you before via Klara, they'll just need to enter their DOB to verify their account before they can begin.
And that's it! This patient is now texting with your practice :)
Getting started with the Klara Phone Greeting
The Klara team will help you get started with the Klara Phone Greeting. Reach out to email@example.com or chat us in the chat bubble below to let us know you're interested! We'll set you up in Klara and send you some quick instructions explaining how to add this to your phone menu.
Here's an overview of the instructions we'll send you, so you know what to expect:
1. Decide what number you want patients to press to receive a text.
You can use an existing extension that is currently unused or add an additional one. We recommend putting this early on in the phone menu so that patients hear it right away. "Zero" is a good option to prevent any disruption to your existing menu.
2. Decide where to place the Klara Phone Greeting.
We recommend setting this up at the front of your phone menu so that your patients hear this message as a greeting before the phone rings. This helps prevent any patients who would prefer to text from having to stay on the phone longer than necessary. It will also help reduce the phone volume for your staff.
3. Record a new .mp3 greeting to add to your phone menu.
You should explain the benefits of texting with your practice so that patients understand why this is a convenient option for them. Here's an example: "Thank you for calling [insert practice name]! If this is a medical emergency, please hang up and dial 911. Did you know you can securely text with us to get your questions answered quickly? No more waiting on hold or leaving voicemails! If you're on your cell phone, press 1 now to end the call and receive a text from us. Otherwise, please stay on the line..."
4. Update your phone system to route the extension that you decided to designate for texting in step one (whether that's 1 or another number) to the new textable number provided by the Klara team.
TIP: We recommend confirming there's a pause for at least 10 seconds in between the option to text and the next item on the phone menu. This will ensure that patients have enough time to press the button. You may also want to record a quick message that plays after the patient presses one, letting them know that they'll receive a text momentarily.
5. Run a quick test.
Understand what your patients will experience by calling your practice from your cell phone and trying it out yourself :) That's it!
Frequently asked questions
1) Will adding the Klara Phone Greeting make our communication with patients less personal?
You won't lose your personal touch when you implement the Klara Phone Greeting. You'll customize the greeting so that patients hear a message that is relevant to your practice, in the voice of your staff. Plus, any patients who do want to talk to someone over the phone can opt to stay on the line. That option is not removed with the Klara Phone Greeting.
2) Does the Klara Phone Greeting come at an additional cost?
No, the Klara Phone Greeting is included in the cost of Klara!
As always, send us a message by clicking the chat bubble to the right. We'll get back to you soon!